Friday, August 22, 2008

Swimmings Cool...for now.

Now I know I have been writing a lot about swimming these days, but who hasn't? I mean I have been reading about Michael Phelps in US Weekly, seriously?!?! In one way I think its super cool, I love that people are interested in swimming, its the sport that I have always loved and others have not understood. I remember being in middle school and people telling me that swimming was sooo easy, yadda yadda yadda. Then came highschool and we were taking the lifeguarding course. You have to swim 500 yards in less than 20 minutes...those kids weren't laughing now. They could barely finish in 20 minutes! Me, I was out of the water after 9 minutes or so. Its not so easy is it?!?!

Anway, back to the point of the blog, I really hope that the momentum keeps going with new "coolness" of swimming. Swimmers deserve more attention and more credit. They aren't just hitting balls and running around bases, or throwing a ball and running into people, they are coasting through the water, breathing under water, pulling there weight through the water and breaking incredible world records that we thought would never be broken!

In Austrailia the swimmers are treated like our football, baseball and basketball stars. They are celebrities. For now Michael Phelps is a celebrity, but how long will that last?? Two weeks, two months, Two years...or four years, when we are in London watching him break his own world records?

We shall wait and see....

1 comment:

Heather M said...

I totally agree with you. It would be great if Michael was able to get more kids interested. Im sure YMCA memberships are up for this month but people will stop swimming by the end of the year. People do not realize how hard it is....