Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Piper and her not so friendly "friend"

So, last night, we let Piper out before we go up to bed, like every other night, only this night was different. Piper thought she was making a new friend, when this black and white friend blasted her with an unpleasant smell....yup, Piper was skunked.

You would think that when your dog gets sprayed by a skunk, it smells like that all to familiar stink, NOPE, so much worse. It smells so bad, I don't even know how to describe it. To make matters worse, it is an oil that they basically spray at you, which makes it much harder to clean. Thank goodness J picked her up and brought her into the kitchen rather than letting her walk into the house, or she would have gotten the oils everywhere and the house would have been a disaster (also because the oils are red as well). I called the emergency 24 hour vet (because Piper had gotten sprayed in the face). We were told to flush out her eyes and mouth with lots of water. Her eyes were burning, and she was drooling. To get the smell off of her you mix 32 oz. hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of blue Dawn dish washing soap. So there I was at the grocery store at 11:30 last night with 3 bottles of peroxide and soap. The guy behind me thought I was dying my hair...hahaha. Anyway, we mixed that concoction together and it worked really well. She doesn't smell at all. We are going to giver her one more bath in that stuff to just make sure she doesnt smell.

The house smelled really bad last night too, but I think only because Piper was in the house. We kept all of the windows and doors open all night and the house is smelling much better.

Another exciting night in our house....

2 comments:

KMV said...

yuck! that happened to Molly once - we left her outside barking while we ran to the store. She stunk so bad, and was a big dog so it got all in the house. I don't think we used peroxide though. Vinegar maybe?

Krissy said...

Same exact thing happened to Cubbie, I know that smell all to well...YUCK! Poor Piper :(